So you’ve just installed WordPress and installed your plugins, What Now?
In our last Getting Started Post we covered Installing your Plugins after signing up for your account and installing WordPress.
Your next step is to change all of your basic settings in order to get off on the right foot with your new blog.
Below I’ll go through how I initially set up each of my WordPress installations. We’ll be reviewing the pertinent menu items to the left in the WordPress Sidebar.
The Settings Menu
When you hover over the word Settings in the sidebar you will see the Settings submenu items. These are:
These are the most basic settings and some may be pre-filled by your WordPress installation process.
- Enter the name of your blog in the Site Title field.
- Enter your site’s slogan or catchy phrase in the Tagline Field.
- WordPress and Site Addresses should be refilled, but should normally be the web address that people will use to reach your site for example http://www.swivelchairmillionaire.com. Don’t change these to something else, as your site could stop working!
- Enter your contact email in the Email Address field.
- Membership – if you want your readers to be able to create accounts and log into your site check this box. I never do!
- New User Default Role – ensure it is set to Subscriber!
- Then select your timezone, date/time formats, what day you like the week to start on and language
Then click Save Changes.